Principal Network Engineer
Principal Network Engineer
The role will be reporting to the Network Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for leading the maintenance, solution design and expansion of the network.
As a predominantly project focused team role, prospective candidates will be expected to own their assigned project, from technical scoping right through delivery and optimisation, either independently, or as a team lead.
What you’ll do
- Own technology framework & deliver technical tasks of projects from the network projects pipeline.
- Work closely with Project Managers to deliver against project objectives.
- Be an authority on the existing Network, acting as the final point of call for fault escalation.
- Network solution design, maintenance and optimisation.
- Ensure network availability is kept above the SLA thresholds.
- Assess, maintain and enhance network performance and security.
- Proactive response to alarms & monitor the network status.
- Create technical documentation starting from network designs, troubleshooting manual and procedures to user guides.
- Work with all the key stakeholders to ensure project tasks are completed efficiently and effectively.
- Carry out migration/maintenance tasks as required by the business.
- Visit data centres & sites to keep the network up to a set standard.
- Provide Out of Hours support for network escalations.
- Liaise with vendors and suppliers.
- Create testing methodologies and ensure rigorous testing is carried out against each solution.
- Support junior members of the team with the technical queries.
Skills, experience and qualifications (required)
- Strong experience in network project delivery role. (ISP Preferred)
- Proven hands-on experience working with carrier grade cisco devices.
- The aptitude to work autonomously, or to lead a small team.
- Strong carrier grade network solution design, migration and implementation experience.
- Comprehensive practical and theoretical knowledge of typical carrier technologies, including BGP, OSPF/ISIS, Multicast, IPv6, Firewalls, MPLS and MPLS based VPN solutions.
- The ability to quickly learn and implement new technologies, in a fast paced, constantly evolving environment.
- Deep understanding of packet captures, and the ability to diagnose and troubleshoot problems based on packet analysis.
- Experience of configuring and using common Network Monitoring Systems (NMS) such as Solarwinds, Nagios, PRTG, etc.
- Experience producing technical documentation including, High Level Designs (HLD), Low Level Designs (LLD) & Migration Strategy etc.
- CCIE or equivalent qualification (or relevant experience). Ideally CCIE-SP
Skills, experience and qualifications (preferred)
- Working towards multiple CCIEs or equivalent qualifications
- CCDP or equivalent
- Network Security experience
- Experience with PON based infrastructure
- Service provider background
- Automation/Scripting Skills
- Exposure to SDN
We’re rebuilding London’s broadband from the fibre up. Street by street, building by building, we’re installing state-of-the-art full-fibre broadband connections to give the capital the internet upgrade it’s been waiting for. And once our infrastructure is installed, we offer world-class service to residents and businesses across London.
It’s a project like no other. We’re growing fast, and we’re looking for great people to join us. G.Networkers are nimble, entrepreneurial, and never settle for second best. If that sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you.
Bring your whole self to work
G.Network is a diverse and inclusive company and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our network will serve Londoners in all their amazing diversity. That’s why we want our workforce, as far as possible, to reflect that diversity. We hire people based on their talents and what they can deliver as G.Networkers - not on their background, or their views on the best way to do the job.